This Farrier Forging Series is only in the beginning phase of production. Please stay tuned and I think you will enjoy what we are creating.
Outline all of the basic tools:
As a beginning farrier, you will need some tools. Whether it is best for you to just buy them or to build them is up to you. I was fortunate to be able to do both and I highly recommend that you consider trying to build tools like tongs and punches as soon as you can.
- Hammer: Rounding, peen,
- Flatter (not a hammer).
- Tongs: Shoe/ bar stock,
- Top tools: Drifts, punches, creasers…
- Vices: Bench and farrier
- Grinders: Bench (grinding, wire wheel, polishing) and 4 1/2″ hand grinder.
Drawing, bumping, bending, straightening, splitting, welding and twisting…
- Welcome to the anvil, hammer and tongs: Straightening a shoe. * In production *
- The anvil face: Drawing steel. Making a hoof pick.
- Getting familiar with the horn: Bending steel. Also making a hoof pick.
- Hammer control: Clips. Lots of clips. Double sided clipped practice shoe teaches a lot of control.
- Punching and drifting:
- Farrier / horseshoe art
Check out the other parts of the Farrier Forging Series.